- 4 slices of good, sturdy bread
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese (I used Denhay English cheddar)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Colman’s mustard powder (or 1 teaspoon of a milder mustard)
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- a little ground black pepper
- dash of milk (probably about a teaspoon)
- 2 cups of fresh spinach or 1/2 cup frozen.
Directions for Welsh Rarebit
- If you’re using fresh spinach, heat in a pan until wilted then leave to cool.
- When cooled, squeeze out the excess liquid and chop roughly. If using frozen, simply defrost and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Place the slices of bread under the grill (or broiler) until lightly browned on one side.
- Meanwhile mix together the cheese, mustard, worcestershire sauce, pepper and milk.
- Next, stir in the chopped spinach. Turn the slices of bread over and top with the cheese mixture, so it’s evenly distributed over each slice.
- Place under the hot grill for 2 – 3 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
Welsh Rarebit With Spinach
Thanks visiting for Welsh Rarebit recipe.