Ingredient For Kanchipuram Idli
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Idli Rice (or boiled rice) – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Flavoring –
- Crushed black pepper – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp (or use fresh grated ginger)
- Seasoning –
- • Sesame oil – 1 tblsp
- Urad dal (or channa dal) – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few (chopped)
- Cashew nuts – 10 (broken)
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Soak both the rice together in one bowl. In another bowl soak the washed urad dal. Let it soak for at least 2 hours.
- First grind the soaked ural dal with little water to get a very light and fluffy batter.
- Next grind the rice to a coarse paste. Mix both the batter together with required salt.
- Let it rest in a warm place and ferment. It may take anywhere between 6 hours to 10 hours depending on the warmth.
- When the batter is fermented it will considerably increase in volume and have a sour fermented aroma.
- With the batter ready, mix the ginger, pepper and cumin with the batter. You can go ahead and make idlis at this stage.
- To make it extra tasty, make a seasoning of mustard seeds, curry leaves, cashew nuts, urad dal and asafoetida. Add this to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter in greased idli moulds or tumblers or a deep pan. Steam it for 15-20 minutes on high flame.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
Thanks visiting For Kanchipuram Idli.