- 2 cups Aval (Poha/Flattened Rice/Rice Flakes)
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (optional)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1-2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
Directions For Aval Upma
- Wash aval (poha) in water for 2-3 times. Keep it in a food strainer for 10 minutes to drain excess water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a kadai. Add peanuts and shallow fry them for 1-2 minutes over low flame. Drain them and transfer to a plate.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds in same oil. When seeds begin to sputter, add chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves. Cook until dals become light brown.
- Add chopped onion, grated ginger and chopped green chillies. Sauté until onion becomes translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Cook until tomatoes become soft for 2-3 minutes.
- Add previously soaked poha and mix well. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add shallow-fried peanuts and mix well.
- Turn off the flame. Delicious aval upma is ready.
- Transfer it to serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve it with coconut chutney or masala chai.
Ingredient Brinjal – 2-3 (small size)Gram flour – 1 cupGreen coriander – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)Green chilly – 2 (finely chopped)Ginger – 1 inch piece…Read More
Thanks visiting for Aval Upma recipe.